Salted Caramel Brownies




Today is my 6th wedding anniversary.

Incidentally, did you realize that the traditional anniversary gift for the 6th anniversary is iron or candy?  


It's odd.


I'm thinking steak for dinner with some delicious, caramel filled brownies for dessert (the caramel counts as candy, right?) .  I think that should fulfill any anniversary obligations!

Since I can’t bring myself to cross one off the 30x30 list and make these from scratch, these are a simple box mix, stuffed to the max with salted caramel sauce (wait do brownies have iron?).  Forget the steak, let's have some anniversary brownies!


Recipe Notes:
*You can use any brownie mix, but I used a box of Hershey’s mix with syrup.
*If you can’t find the unwrapped caramel bits, use a bag of full sized caramels, unwrapped.


Salted Caramel Brownies

1 box brownie mix
          Egg, water, and oil as indicated on the packaging
1 (11 oz) bag caramel bits
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp coarse sea salt



Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and spray an 8x8 inch baking pan with non stick spray.

Prepare the brownie mix, per package instructions.  Pour about half of the brownie mix into the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven and set aside.

Meanwhile, combine the caramel bits and the sweetened condensed milk.  Melt the caramel mixture in a double boiler or the microwave, stirring occasionally, until very smooth.  Stir in the sea salt.

Pour the caramel sauce over the baked brownies.  Top with the remaining brownie batter and return to the oven.  Bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the top brownie layer comes out clean. 

Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting.  Garnish with additional caramel sauce, if desired.


Comments

  1. Happy Anniversary!! These brownies look like a perfect treat to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this recipe! Who doesn't enjoy the combo of chocolate and caramel??? PERFECT!

    PS...happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! We had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I need a sweet treat for my bookclub - these look awesome (saw you on Must Try Mondays)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! I just posted some salted caramel brownies on my blog, too. They're so incredible!! My favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment! I would love to hear from you!