Corn and Chicken Chowder



Even though it is May, we just got snow where I live (again).  The paper said it was the 7th consecutive month of significant snowfall in this town.  That is a lot of snow people.  Since it was so darn chilly again, it was definitely time for some nice, cozy soup.

When I was making and first tasted this soup, I kept expecting my Bacon Corn Chowder and this is similar, but not it.  Honestly, the first day I really wasn’t sold.  I had added cheese and tortilla chips and it just wasn’t doing it for me.

Then I put the leftovers in the fridge for a couple days and added a little avocado and oh my goodness.  What a difference!  Now I am loving this soup and I can’t wait to make it again!  The time in the refrigerator gave the flavors time to mellow and the chiles to really pop.  Then the cool smooth avocado just brought it all together.  Next time there is a cold, rainy (or snowy) day, go ahead and make this one.


Corn and Chicken Chowder
Adapted from Buns in my Oven

1 tbsp canola oil
¼ cup onions, finely diced
3 medium potatoes, diced
2 tbsp all purpose flour
3 cups skim milk
2 cups chicken stock
½ tsp Lowry’s Seasoning Salt
1 tsp dried parsley
½ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 (15 oz) can of sweet corn, drained
1 (15 oz) can creamed corn
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
2 cups cooked chicken, diced (I used a rotisserie chicken)
1 (4 oz) package bacon bits
Salt and pepper to taste
1 avocado, diced


In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the onions and cook 2-3 minutes or until the onions are tender.  Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Stir in the potatoes, milk, chicken stock, seasoning salt, parsley, and cayenne.  Bring to a low boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the corn, creamed corn, chilies, chicken, and bacon bits.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.  Top with diced avocado.

Make 6-8 bowls of soup

Enjoy!
Amy