Crispy Sweet Potato Fries



A mere two days ago, I shared a recipe for sour cream dip for sweet potato fries, but the fries just weren’t ready to share.  That all changed today and I just couldn't wait to share it with you!  A little back story...

I recently ordered sweet potato fries for the first time at a small local restaurant and they were astounding!  Crispy, salty, delicious…but fried.  They were to die for, but just not realistic everyday indulgence.  So I have been working ever since, trying to replicate those sweet potato fries without compromising the health benefits of sweet potatoes.

Over and over again I would come close to the taste, but not the crispiness.  You see, sweet potatoes just do not like to crisp up like white potatoes.  So I got to thinking, onion rings are breaded, why not sweet potato fries?  After all, the fries at the restaurant were most likely battered before they were fried.

So in this recipe, in addition to the spices, I used a simple breading and a high oven temp and bam!  We have ourselves some crispy sweet potato fries!  Yum!  I wanted to have some leftovers so I made just over 2 pound of fries (3 largish sweet potatoes), but I wrote the recipe for 1 pound to make it easier to adapt.  Just double everything as needed to make your delicious appetizer.  I think I’m going to go raid the fridge for leftovers now…


Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
An Amy Original

1 lb sweet potatoes, cut into sticks
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp coarse salt
2 tsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.

In a shallow bowl, whisk together egg and water.

In another shallow bowl, stir together bread crumbs, parmesan, cayenne, paprika, black pepper, and salt.

Dredge the cut sweet potatoes through the egg mixture.  Allow the excess to drip off, then add to the bread crumb mixture, turning until completely coated.  Place the coated fries in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil.

Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fries are browned and crisp.  Serve immediately with Spicy Sour Cream Dip.

Enjoy!
Amy

Comments

  1. YUM! These look great! They are on the menu plan for this week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic job! These look so amazing and then to go with your wonderful dip, what a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the addition of Parmesan cheese and thanks for trying, trying and trying again. Awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I am SO excited for these! I love that you worked so hard to create a healthier alternative for these yummy fries. I'm making these this week for sure! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will enjoy! They look soooooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to add bread crumbs to sweet potato fries! These look and sound amazing. Def need to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this recipe - the fried ones are great but hard to run off :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow these sound so good!! Can't wait to try them. Thanks for all your research and practice.
    Denise
    http://dinner-with-deniseb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sweet potato fries! A local restaurant serves them with bourbon barbecue sauce and a cinnamon marshmallow cream that is to. die. for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this combo of crispy and sweet with some fire in it. Could eat a plate of this in zero time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, these sound delicious! I love that you baked them instead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look incredible!!! Could sure go for a plate of those right now ;)

    Great blog!

    Mary xx
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely have to try these! I made some roasted sweet potato wedges with burgers last night and they were really tasty too: http://cookingwithfaye.blogspot.com/2011/03/fantastic-homemade-burgers.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be trying these for sure! Thanks, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the dip the fries - it all looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to try these! I make oven baked sweet potato fries for my kids often, but am always dismayed at how soggy they tend to be (the kids don't seem to care.) This looks like a great solution.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I truly can't wait to try these!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you try the Easter Egg Hunt Cookies! Post a pic to my Facebook - I'd love to see! ♥- Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks incredible. I love these things with horseradish dipping sauce. Can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful idea, baking them! They look just SO crispy. My kids would love them but who am I trying to kid? We'd ALL love them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love sweet potato fries, years ago I worked in the restaurant that brought sweet potato fries to my hometown and it was incredible. Everyone would always smirk and say that at least they don't seeeeem fried! I like that you added parmesan cheese, such a beautiful compliment to the sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! These look delicious. I can't ever get my sweet potato fries crispy, so I'm excited to try your recipe and see if it works for me. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look so good! Thanks for sharing them with me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amy,
    Just wanted to let you know I used your recipe here for inspiration for a recipe I created. I linked back here to your recipe and gave you full credit. Thanks for the idea of how to make my sweet potato fries crispier. If you want to see it you can go to http://bit.ly/l2WWiW
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Carla Meine

    I am so glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for linking back to me!

    ReplyDelete
  25. made the sweet potato fries tonight, one thing i did differently well only because i didn't have them on hand was i used panko breadcrumbs instead of normal bread crumbs. Now they were crispy but the panko bits kinda fell off the potaotes abit but, in a nice way .still cruncky and tender inside mmmmm, next time i will try them with normal breadcrumbs but overall very tasty thanks for a neat way to make these fries crispy and without the fat fryer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just made these.. They are really crispy and yummy, thanks for the tip!! I would have never thought to use bread crumbs.. I sometimes use corn starch, that works really well too. Except, with corn starch its hard to incorporate flavor. Bread crumbs = excellent choice! Thanks again, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These were AMAZING! Thank you for perfecting the crispy sweet potato fry for the rest of us. So yummy with a spicy dipping sauce. I can't wait to pass this recipe along to my family. Everything about it was just great!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sweet potatoe fries also good with sweet chili dip mixed with 1/4 mayo!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sweet potato fries also good with sweet chili dipping sauce mixed with either mayo or sour cream

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment! I would love to hear from you!