Pizza Stromboli


When my husband is out of town, I don’t cook.  Since I have young (read: picky) kids, it just doesn’t make sense to cook for myself.  However, sometimes (when he is gone for four days, for instance) I get really sick of sandwiches and run out of leftovers.  And that’s when this gem was born.  I was home alone, but didn’t want to order a whole pizza for myself, so I created a Stromboli hoping that Little Mr. Picky would eat some (my hopes were dashed – he was totally not buying that this was the same as pizza).

Since my almost 3 year old was too picky to eat this, I got to enjoy my Stromboli all by myself (thankfully my husband helped me with the leftovers when he returned from his business trip!)  I love this recipe because you can really tailor it to your own tastes.  You can add your favorite pizza toppings into the center or (like me) add whatever you can find in the pantry because you are about to go out of town and the refrigerator is empty!


Pizza Stromboli
An Amy Original

2 eggs
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup mozzarella cheese
30 pieces of turkey pepperoni
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
2 (8 oz) cans refrigerated crescent rolls


Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Unroll crescent rolls.  Separate into 16 triangles.  Arrange in 11-inch circle on foil-lined baking sheet, with short sides of triangles overlapping in center and points of triangles toward outside. (There should be a 5-inch diameter opening in center of circle.)  Using a small rolling pin, flatten the center of the circle (where the crescents overlap).

In a bowl, mix together eggs, cream cheese and mozzarella cheese

Spoon cheese mixture onto dough near center of circle.  Top with a layer of pepperoni and tomatoes.  Bring outside points of triangles up over filling, then tuck under dough in center of ring to cover filling.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is heated through.

Enjoy!
Amy

Comments